Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lao-Zi Chapter 1


Laozi wrote at the very start: If Tao can be explained by words, then it is not Tao. 

道可道,非常道。

When I read this sentence the first time after  16 years, I was struck by its simplicity and how I have repeatedly telling myself the same thing for many things that I experienced in recent years. Kendo being one of them.

One must learn by experience. Simply listening to explanations is not the way to understand the true essence of a concept, of a culture, of a lifestyle, of a relationship, of a philosophy, and of kendo.

So maybe all of you should stop reading here, because true kendo cannot be written in words? Well, Laozi wrote on:

無名天地之始;有名萬物之母。
故常無欲以觀其妙,常有欲以觀其徼。

So, although you cannot understand the essence of kendo by reading or listening to explanations, you can, however, see the trace and the manifestation of kendo. Then, one should practise with a natural mind, without the anxiety of always searching for something. Because one day, without any intention, the essence comes to you.

In my kendo blog, I personally think the most valuable things are perhaps not the explanations of techniques, because there are books and other internet resources that explain them. The most valuable are perhaps the accounts of my personal experiences, thoughts and my efforts. I hope I'm taking you into my head, and in effect bring you onto this journey with me, which is better then reading textbook-like explanations. Though of course I try to provide both. I find it useful anyways for me to write them down.

No comments: